As Director Engineering of our Real Time Communications teams in Stockholm you will be a peer to our Directors in Lund and London.
Your other main initial task will be to recruit and establish a couple of new agile engineering teams as part of our expansion plan. Those teams will be focused on our cloud rich messaging services, Data Analytics services and general Web portal development. Hence, a track record in successfully building productive teams from scratch is seen as a key experience.
We are looking for an experienced senior manager with a software engineering background that includes a solid track record of implementing best practises in the software engineering and management field while delivering new exciting new features. You will be reporting to our CTO and work to support our Product Owners, Senior Technical Architects and Team Leads to plan and deliver new product features. Your teams are also responsible for maintenance and second line support for their components.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Drive a culture of high quality software, on time delivery and innovation
- Work closely together with our Senior Technical Architects and Team Leads, who are responsible for how we design our software, to create robust sprint and overall delivery plans
- Foster a culture of using best practices for software engineering, from requirements engineering to continuous deployment
- Support and participate in team’s effort in analysis of requirements and design of solutions.
- Drive and coordinate roll outs of new point of presence using public cloud service providers
- Keep management apprised of development progress, risks, corrective actions and recommended changes to execution tactics
- Keeping abreast of key technical developments and innovations within the industry and encouraging and support team members to do the same.
- Lead Root Cause Analysis work and ensure corrective actions are systematically implemented
- Drive the budget process for the team. Manage OPEX to be within approved budget.
- Manage people matters such as recruitment, sub-contracting, salary reviews, vacations and training plans needed to keep the team performing on par with best of class teams.
- Perceived as a senior and trusted leader within software engineering and delivery practices across internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to attract and motivate talent
- Self-motivation to analyze and initiate changes and improvements to operational capabilities
- Demonstrates ownership and accountability, takes actions to solve challenges and issues
- Engage naturally with engineers to truly understand project challenges and options
- Excellent communication skills in English - both verbal and written
- Independent thinker combined with integrity to challenge mainstream and default solutions
- Administrative skills and persistence needed to drive and follow through on improvements
- Great attention to detail and quality, ability to convey the urgency of this
- Ability to apply analytical thinking to address complex business issues
- Degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent background
- At least 10 years’ experience from leading roles in successful software engineering organizations and projects, ideally in the SaaS domain
- Solid understanding of current best practices in SaaS software engineering field, from requirements engineering to continuous deployment practices
- Self-experienced background in software development with the associated quality assurance
- Understands Agile, Scrum or Kanban process in depth
- Builds motivated and focused teams that take pride in delivery of quality software
- Understanding in how SaaS and PaaS are supported and maintained is an advantage
- Understanding of Voice PSTN/VoiP and Video/WebRTC is an advantage
- Makes team members feel joy and energy while being high performers